X
GO

Thompson History

Thompson Health 1904 - Present


View PDF: 100 Years of History

 2012

• Thompson appoints new CEO Michael Stapleton, Jr.
• Thompson CEO Linda Farchione retires after 21 years.

 2011
  • Thompson Health receives NICHE designation
  • Mendon Lab Draw Station opens
  • Constellation Center for Health and Healing opens
 2010
  • Spirit of Women program launches
  • Wish Upon a Star program begins
 2009
  • Thompson Clinic opens for under- and uninsured on Main Street in Canandaigua
  • Urgent Care Center opens in Farmington
 2006
  • Sands Family Lobby, Hamlin Family Patient Access Center and Si & Mary Siewert Surgical Care Center opens
  • Thompson Hospital receives designation as NYS Stroke Center
  • U.S. President George W. Bush visits Ferris Hills
2004-05
  • The Project Advance expansion is completed including: 
    1. The Golisano Center for Emergency and Diagnostic Medicine
    2. Hawks Emergency Department
    3. Polisseni Family Diagnostic Imaging Department
    4. Sands Family Lobby
    5. Hamlin Family Patient Access Center
    6. Si and Mary Siewart Surgical Care Center
2004
  • The M.M. Ewing Continuing Care Center renovation and expansion is completed
2002
  • Thompson Health awarded the Governor’s Award for Excellence from the Empire State Advantage Program
  • Advancing Excellence Campaign begins fundraising for Project Advance expansion
  • B. Thomas Golisano donates $5 million to Thompson Health, the largest gift ever received by the corporation
2001
  • Ferris Hills at West Lake opens
  • Family Practice at Shortsville moves into new building
2000
  • Sands Cancer Center opens
  • Integrated Complementary Medicine program begins
1999
  • F.F. Thompson Health System, Inc. rebrands as Thompson Health and introduces a new logo
  • Marvin Sands donates $3 million to Thompson Health
  • Ground is broken on the Thompson Professional Building which houses the Sands Cancer Center and physician offices on the campus of F.F. Thompson Hospital - the new center is a joint venture with Thompson Health, Strong Health and Interlakes Oncology  
  • F.F. Thompson Hospital purchases a fifth family practice, F.F. Thompson Family Practice Bloomfield
1998
  • F.F. Thompson Health System is a 301-bed health care facility comprised of six corporations with 250 members on the medical staff, 1008 associates, 240 volunteers and a guild with 400 plus members
  • Two new family practices are opened and a physician is hired for both F.F. Thompson Family Practice Shortsville and F.F. Thompson Family Practice Lima
  • F.F.T. Senior Communities, Inc. is added as the seventh corporation and is responsible for the management of two new senior living complexes named Ferris Hills at West Lake
1997
  • In partnership with the medical staff, Finger Lakes Community Care Network forms a joint venture, FLCCN-IPA, as a community focused approach to managed care and HMO negotiations.
  • F.F. Thompson Continuing Care Center hires a part-time Clinical Director, a physician board certified in Gerontology
  • Renovation of the Surgical Services on the first floor and moving Ambulatory Services to second floor provides state-of-the-art care, expansion of waiting areas and better accommodations for patients and families
  • The Operating Suite expanded from five operating rooms to six
  • The Ambulatory Procedures Center expanded from one endoscopy room to two
  • An additional procedure room and a nine-bed patient care area were added
  • Honeoye Family Practice expands with the addition of another family practice physician
  • Victor Family Practice expands with the addition of another family practice physician, and relocates into a new medical building in Victor
1996
  • Thompson Nursing Home celebrates its 25th anniversary and transitions into the F.F.Thompson Continuing Care Center providing a full spectrum of long-term and other specialized services
  • Chaplain's Volunteer program begins
  • The Wellness Center, in conjunction with the department of Education, creates Health Talks: A Better Life
  • A Better Way marketing campaign begins promoting community awareness and brand image for F.F. Thompson
  • F.F. Thompson develops one of the first health care sites on the World Wide Web: http://www.ffth.com.
  • F.F. Thompson Foundation holds its first donor recognition brunch and awards the Star of Distinction to the Richard Hawks family
  • Hudson Park, located in front of the Continuing Care Center, is dedicated in honor of Pearl Hudson
  • The Laurie Sands Garden, located in front of the hospital, is dedicated in memory of Laurie Sands, M.D.
  • Honeoye Family Practice expands and moves into a new medical office building, 3 Honeoye Commons and a physician is hired
  • Victor Family Practice is opened
1995
  • Thompson Nursing Home opens a 40-bed addition, The Gardens, providing specialized care for Alzheimer’s dementia residents and bringing the total number of skilled beds to 188
  • Ontario County Advanced Life Support becomes the 6th corporation of F.F. Thompson Health System
  • The Brighter Day Medical Adult Day program relocates to Fort Hill Avenue
  • The Building on Excellence addition is completed in February with the opening of a new lobby, Chapel, gift shop and Wellness Center
  • Ten new LDRP suites are completed in the new Birthing Center located on the second floor of the new addition
  • The Pain Management Center opens
  • F.F. Thompson hires its first Chaplain and begins the Spiritual Care program
  • F.F. Thompson Hospital opens Honeoye Family Practice with the hiring of a family practice physician
1994
  • F.F. Thompson becomes a smoke-free facility
  • OT/PT satellite department opens in Thompson Medical Center
  • The first Puttin’ on the Ritz Gala is held at Sonnenberg Gardens celebrating Thompson’s 90th birthday
  • The Thompson Way, a new corporate culture, is born
1993
  • Groundbreaking ceremony held for the $11 million Building on Excellence expansion
  • CARES values developed
  • Thompson Healthy Bear is born
  • FFTH Properties, Inc. purchased the medical office building at 198 Parrish St.
  • Together with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Rochester, FLCCN developed the Finger Lakes Health Plan
1992
  • Finger Lakes Community Care Network (FLCCN) is incorporated as an affiliate of the Health System
  • Building on Excellence Capital Campaign begins and successfully raises $2.5 million
  • The Physician’s Office Building, 335 Parrish St., and the Canandaigua Professional Building, 3170 West St., are acquired by FFTH Properties, Inc.
  • Short Term Stay/ Respite programs begin in Thompson Nursing Home
  • The Sleep Disorders Center of the Finger Lakes opened at F.F. Thompson Hospital
  • The First issues of PARTNERS in Healthcare newsletter were mailed to 40,000 households in Thompson’s service area
  • The Uncommon Leader Total Quality Management (TQM) program begins
1991
  • Thompson Nursing Home opens the Meadows, adding 40 more beds
  • Thompson Nursing Home is awarded a grant (one of eight facilities in New York State) to study the care of Alzheimer’s/other dementia-related illness
  • The New Era of Excellence building project is completed with grand openings of The Sands Rehabilitation Center, The Hawks Emergency Center, a new state-of-the-art Intensive Care Unit and expanded Diagnostic Imaging
1990
  • Thompson Medical Center opens in Farmington, including: 
    1. Immediate Care Center with laboratory and x-ray
    2. HealthWorks Occupational Medicine Program
    3. Private physicians offices
1989
  • F.F. Thompson Health System is formed - the affiliates are F.F. Thompson Hospital, Thompson Nursing Home, F.F. Thompson Hospital Foundation and FFTH Properties, Inc.
  • The Sport Medicine Center opens at 3170 West Street
  • The Brighter Day Medical Adult Day Services program opens at 3170 West Street as the first off-site program in New York State
1988
  • Hospital downsizes acute beds to 113
1987
  • Five-year capitation demonstration program with Blue Choice of BC/BS Rochester begins
1979
  • Hospital Third Floor West opens 20 medical/surgical beds bringing the total acute beds to 121
1976
  • Thompson Nursing Home adds 40 more beds based on a health-related level of care
  • Physician Office Building opens adjacent to the Hospital with eight medical office suites
1971
  • New F.F. Thompson Hospital opens on Parrish Street with 101 acute care beds, Emergency Department, Operating Suite, Intensive Care Unit, Maternity and Lab
1958
  • Additional renovations completed at the hospital, bringing it to 130 beds
  • Added new laboratory, physical therapy, medical records and x-ray facilities
1953
  • Renovations completed bringing Thompson to a total of 112 beds and including:
    1. New kitchen and cafeteria on the ground floor
    2. Two delivery rooms, nursery, labor room & formula room on the third floor
    3. Two operating rooms to the surgical suite on the first floor
1949
  • First major renovations began
1922
  • Maternity Wing built in memory of Mrs. Thompson’s sister Mrs. Abigail Clark Williams
  • Preventorium built (Fisk Building) to care for pre-tubercular patients and handicapped children
1909
  • County Laboratory was constructed on the hospital grounds (the first in the country)
1908
  • School of Nursing opens
1907
  • Adds Contiguous Building (Annex)
1904
  • Frederick Ferris Thompson Memorial Hospital opens on North Main Street featuring:
    1. 32 beds
    2. Six members of the Medical Staff
    3. 17 employees
    4. $7/week for a ward bed
    5. $10-25/week for a private room with ordinary nursing